Many people consider a woman’s 40’s to be the prime of her life. This is the decade to love being you, of looking back on the life you have lived and looking forward to a long life ahead of you. Too often, women look at themselves in the mirror and worry over their worry lines. Many of these same women look to makeup and products to fill in these worry lines and unfortunately end up making them even more noticeable.
Just like your 40’s should be all about loving who you are, so should the way you wear your makeup. With that in mind, here are some makeup tips for women in their 40’s to help celebrate your natural beauty.
Although this oft-repeated sentiment may seem obvious, it has never been more important to moisturize. Do it in the morning when you first wake up, at night before you go to bed, whenever you get out of the shower, and whenever else you happen to get a chance. On top of moisturizing whenever possible, look for moisturizing products as well, such as cream products instead of powder.
Sun Protection Is a Must
If there is one thing that can age your skin more than anything else, it’s the Sun. Always make sure to wear a good SPF, whether it be in your moisturizer or makeup- or both. Also, cover up that skin whenever possible with hats, scarves, or some good old fashioned shade.
Foundation can seep into lines and create a caked on look that can age you ten years or more. Instead, let your skin free and go for something much lighter. Tinted moisturizers are best for a youthful look. Powder, also, will settle in lines so it is best to be avoided also. If you have deep crow’s feet that you feel need to be filled, use a liquid concealer in an upward motion, and choose a color that is slightly pink or peachy.
- Liner Rules: If you wear lipstick, you should always wear a liner to keep the color from bleeding out and making your mouth look wrinkled around the edges. Your liner should match your lipstick.
- Plump It Up: If your lips are thinning a little, don’t be afraid to try a lip plumper.
- Lash Curler: To widen your eyes and let in a little youthful light, use an eyelash curler. Lengthening mascara will help build up thin eyelashes.
- Brows: Your brows make all the difference, with or without make up. You can give yourself an instant face lift with properly shaped brows and a light filling pencil. As for shape, make sure your brows have a youthful arch instead of a curve.
- Liner: Don’t overdo it. While rimming your eyes with thick, black liner has almost always been trendy for women in their 20’s, it will only serve to age you in your 40’s. Let your liner be more subtle, and consider using dark brown eye liner instead of black.
For a dewy soft, youthful look, use cream blush instead of powder. Apply it at the highest point on your cheekbones to show off your bone structure.
The overall rule for makeup for women in their 40’s is this: don’t cover yourself up, focus on your best attributes instead. Not only do you want your natural beauty to shine through, but all that cover up usually just ends up aging you. Use these tips to make your makeup work for you, and celebrate the prime of your life.